From addict + -ion; compare (Latin) addictio (“an adjudging, an award”)
Wikipedia addiction (plural addictions)
- The state of being addicted; devotion; inclination.
- A habit or practice that damages, jeopardizes or shortens one's life but when ceased causes trauma.
- A pathological relationship to mood altering experience that has life damaging consequences.
- His addiction was to courses vain. Shakespeare.
the state of being addicted
a pathological relationship
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
- Telugu: వ్యసనము (vyasanamu)
Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster’s Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.