ballet (plural ballets)
- A classical form of dance.
- A theatrical presentation of such dancing, usually with music, sometimes in the form of a story.
- The company of persons who perform this dance.
- (music) A light part song, or madrigal, with a fa-la burden or chorus, most common with the Elizabethan madrigal composers.
- (heraldry) A bearing in coats of arms representing one or more balls, called bezants, plates, etc., according to colour.
Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster’s Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
ballet m (plural ballets)
Read in another language
This page is available in 36 languages