- (RP) IPA: /ˌkɒntɹəˈdɪkʃən/, X-SAMPA: /%kQntr@"dIkS@n/
- (GenAm) IPA: /ˌkɑːntɹəˈdɪkʃən/, X-SAMPA: /%kA:ntr@"dIkS@n/
- Rhymes: -ɪkʃən
- (uncountable) The act of contradicting.
- His contradiction of the proposal was very interesting.
- (countable) A statement that contradicts itself.
- There is a contradiction in what you say - she can't be both married and single.
- (countable) a logical incompatibility among two or more elements or propositions
- Marx believed that the contradictions of capitalism would lead to socialism.
- (logic) (countable) A proposition that is false for all values of its variables.
- (proposition that is false for all values of its variables): tautology
act of contradicting
statement that contradicts itself
the logical incompatibility of opposing elements
proposition that is false for all values of its variables
Borrowed from Latin contradictio.
contradiction f (plural contradictions)