|spear; lance; pike||shield|
|simp. and trad.
- Cantonese (Jyutping): maau4 teon5
- Hakka (Pha̍k-fa-sṳ): màu-tún
- Min Nan (POJ): mâu-tún / bâu-tún
- Min Nan
- conflicted, vacillating between two options
- Tā de xīnlǐ hěn máodùn.
- He is feeling really conflicted inside.
|Kanji in this term|
|Grade: S||Grade: S|
- 楚人有鬻楯與矛者 譽之曰 吾楯之堅 莫能陷也 又譽其矛曰 吾矛 之利 於物無不陷也 或曰 以子之矛陷子之楯 何如 其人弗能應也.
- There was a man in Chu who sold shields and spears. Praising the shields he said: 'My shields are so strong that nothing can pierce them.' And praising the spears he said: 'My spears are so strong that there is nothing that they cannot pierce.' A person asked: 'What if someone pierces your shields with your spears?' He could not respond.
- to be inconsistent, to be in contradiction, to be incompatible with
- Kare ga kyō shuchō suru naiyō wa kinō no kōdō to mujun shite iru.
- What he's going on about today isn't compatible with his behavior yesterday. → What he's saying today doesn't jive with what he did yesterday.