From Latin dēscriptīvus (“containing a full description”)
- Of, or relating to description.
- (grammar) Of an adjective, stating an attribute of the associated noun (as heavy in the heavy dictionary).
- (linguistics) Describing the structure, grammar, vocabulary and actual use of a language.
- (sciences, philosophy) Describing and seeking to classify, as opposed to normative or prescriptive.
of, or relating to description
stating an attribute to associated noun
describing a language
describing and seeking to classify
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
descriptive (plural descriptives)
- Description on Wikipedia.Wikipedia:Description
- Linguistic prescription on Wikipedia.Wikipedia:Linguistic prescription
- feminine form of
Read in another language
This page is available in 23 languages