- To eat quickly, greedily, hungrily, or ravenously.
- To rapidly destroy, engulf, or lay waste.
- The fire was devouring the building.
- 2006, Edwin Black, chapter 1, Internal Combustion:
- Blast after blast, fiery outbreak after fiery outbreak, like a flaming barrage from within, […] most of Edison's grounds soon became an inferno. As though on an incendiary rampage, the fires systematically devoured the contents of Edison's headquarters and facilities.
- To take in avidly with the intellect.
- She intended to devour the book.
- To absorb or engross the mind fully, especially in a destructive manner.
- After the death of his wife, he was devoured by grief.
to eat greedily