Last modified on 7 October 2013, at 23:18
From Old French enfranchir (“to set free, enfranchise”), from en- (“in”) + franchir (“to set free”).
enfranchise (third-person singular simple present enfranchises, present participle enfranchising, simple past and past participle enfranchised)
- To grant the franchise to an entity, specifically:
- To grant the privilege of voting to a person or group of people.
- To grant municipal or parliamentary rights to an entity such as a city or constituency.
- To grant freedom from slavery or servitude.
to grant the privilege of voting
to grant municipal or parliamentary rights
- Swedish: ge stadsprivilegier (municipal)
to grant freedom from servitude