Audio (US) (file)
gander (plural ganders)
- A male goose.
- A fool, simpleton
- (slang, used only with “have” and “take”) A glance, look.
- Have a gander at what he’s written.
- what's good for the goose is good for the gander
- what's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Most likely from English gander or Low German gander, ganner. Both are possibly formed from gans (“goose”) in an analogous way as kater (“male cat”) from kat (“(female) cat”) and doffer (“male dove”) from duif (“(female) dove”).
- gander, male goose