- Rhymes: -ɪnɪŋ
inning (plural innings)
- (baseball) A period of play in which members of a visiting baseball team attempt to hit a baseball pitched by the opposing home team until three players are called out, followed by a similar attempt by members of the home baseball team against the visiting team's pitching. There are nine or more innings in a regulation baseball game.
- It is a baseball tradition to sing "Take Me Out To the Ball Game" during the seventh inning stretch.
- (softball) A similar period of play.
- We batted around in our half of the inning.
- (billiards) A player (or team)'s turn at the table to make shots until ended by a miss or a foul.
- A chance or opportunity to perform some deed or act.
- We are in just the second inning of our quest to enter this new market.
- (obsolete) Lands recovered from the sea.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Ainsworth to this entry?)
a period of play in baseball
Read in another language
This page is available in 7 languages