- (transitive) Used other than as an idiom: see pass, up.
- Can you pass up this box to the guy on the ladder?
- (idiomatic, transitive) To refuse (not accept); forgo.
- He passed up my invitation for dinner, saying he was too busy.
- 2011 October 1, Phil McNulty, “Everton 0 - 2 Liverpool”, BBC Sport:
- Everton were, perhaps understandably, deflated at the setback and it was no surprise when Suarez added Liverpool's second after 82 minutes. Distin and Baines were involved in a mix-up as the Uruguayan advanced into the area, and he was not about to pass up the gift to shoot low past Howard.
Read in another language
This page is available in 4 languages