- (uncommon, offensive, proscribed) Transgender; having changed gender identity (with or without surgery) from male to female, or from female to male. (Compare transsexual.)
- The term transgender is more common and is preferred by transgender people; several authorities specifically proscribe transgendered, comparing its use to the use of blacked in place of black.
transgendered (plural transgendereds)
- The adjective transgendered is offensive as-is, and nominalization of it may make it even more offensive — see the usage note at transsexual regarding the use of this type of word as a noun.
- simple past tense and past participle of
- ^ Google Ngrams data show that transgender has been more common since 1998
- ^ GLAAD Media Reference Guide - Transgender Issues
- ^ German Lopez, Why you should always use "transgender" instead of "transgendered" (Vox, 18 February 2015)
- ^ Dan Savage, Savage Love: Gayed, Blacked, Transgendered (Creative Loafing, 11 January 2014)