Alternative forms Edit
- (North Wales, standard, colloquial) IPA(key): /jaɨ̯θ/
- (South Wales, standard) IPA(key): /jai̯θ/
- Homophone: iaith (South Wales)
-iaeth f (plural -iaethau)
- Forms abstract nouns.
- territory controlled by, -ship, -age, -y, -dom
Usage notes Edit
- With names of leaders, -iaeth can be both concrete and abstract, for instance barwniaeth (“baronage, barony”) is both the rank of being a baron and the territory controlled by one.
- Most nouns in -iaeth are feminine. Common exceptions are gwahaniaeth (“difference”) and lluniaeth (“refreshments”).
Derived terms Edit
R. J. Thomas, G. A. Bevan, P. J. Donovan, A. Hawke et al., editors (1950–present), “-iaeth”, in Geiriadur Prifysgol Cymru Online (in Welsh), University of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh & Celtic Studies