Originally applied to actress Clara Bow, who starred in a film titled It (it being a euphemism for sex appeal).
It girl (plural It girls)
- (Britain) A woman who is in vogue, typically as an actress, model, socialite, or the like.
- 2003, Gilda Carle, Teen Talk with Dr. Gilda: A Girl's Guide to Dating
- Passionate pursuers are a challenge to guys because while other girls may be chasing them, the It Girls are chasing their dreams.
- 2003, Melissa de la Cruz, Karen Robinovitz, How to Become Famous in Two Weeks or Less
- I even found the perfect venue to display my new It-girl persona: the aptly named It-girls premiere party for the It-girls documentary.
- 2004, Andrea Stuart, The Rose of Martinique: A Life of Napoleon's Josephine
- She was one of the It Girls of her day.
Elinor Glyn (1927) It, and Other Stories:
- To have "It", the fortunate possessor must have that strange magnetism which attracts both sexes. He or she must be entirely unselfconscious and full of self-confidence, indifferent to the effect he or she is producing, and uninfluenced by others. There must be physical attraction, but beauty is unnecessary.