- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˌmɛl.əˈniː.zi.ə/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˌmɛl.əˈni.ʒə/
- (General American) Rhymes: -iːʒə
- Hyphenation: Mel‧a‧ne‧sia
- Part of Oceania, made up of New Guinea, the Bismarck Archipelago, the Solomon Islands, New Caledonia, Vanuatu and Fiji.
- 2004, Mary N. MacDonald, “Thinking and teaching with the indigenous traditions of Melanesia”, in Beyond primitivism: indigenous religious traditions and modernity, Routledge, →ISBN, page 315:
- My job, then, is that of a cultural and religious broker of sorts, co-opting Melanesia to serve as a stimulus to thought in Le Moyne classrooms.
part of Oceania
First declension, with locative.