New York City
- The largest city in the United States of America, consisting of five boroughs: Manhattan, the Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, and Staten Island. The city is situated on the Atlantic Coast at the mouth of the Hudson River in the northeastern state of New York.
New York City refers to the entire city spanning all five boroughs since its consolidation in 1898. Prior to that the city was primarily on Manhattan Island. The city’s official name is New York but it is commonly referred to as New York City (NYC), the City of New York, or New York, New York (NY, NY), in order to distinguish it from New York State.
- 1971, Carol King and Toni Stern, “Where You Lead”, Tapestry, Ode Records
- I always wanted a real home with flowers on the window sill,
- But if you want to live in New York City, honey, you know I will.
- 2007, Pulitzer Prize winning author Frank McCourt recently described New York City as, “an urban oasis of togetherness and a beacon of man’s compassion toward fellow man.”
- The Big Apple (informal)
- City of New York
- Gotham (informal; coined by Washington Irving in 1807)
- New York
- New York City