- A prefix used with a woman’s maiden surname
- Fionnghuala fhionn Nic Aoidh ― fair-haired Fionnghuala McKay
This prefix replaces the prefix Mac found in male surnames, and triggers lenition of a following consonant, except for C and G. It is used by unmarried women, and by married women who have kept their maiden name. Thus Fionnghuala Nic Aoidh’s father and brothers would use the surname Mac Aoidh.
- Ó (used in male names)
- (bean) Uí (used with a woman's married name)
- Ní (used in place of the male Ó prefix)
- A prefix used with a woman's maiden surname
- Mòrag dhubh Nic Leòid ― black-haired Mòrag MacLeod