From Old Irish Notlaic, from Latin nātālīcia (“a birthday party”), with specific reference to the birth of Christ, from nātālis (“natal”), from nātus (“born”). Compare Welsh Nadolig, Breton Nedeleg and French Noël.
- Christmas Day, the 25th of December.
- The season of Christmas.
- A male or female given name, cognate to Noel or Noelle.
Forms with the definite article
- Alternative plural: Nollaigeacha (Cois Fharraige)
- cárta Nollag (“Christmas card”)
- Daidí na Nollag (“Father Christmas, Santa Claus”)
- Mí na Nollag (“December”)