The present name was given by Lorenz Oken in 1816 after reassigning the species to the genus Pan from Simia troglodytes, where it had been placed by Johann Friedrich Blumenbach in 1776. The use of the specific epithet troglodytes (“cave-dwelling”) was taken from the species Homo troglodytes, which was coined by Carl Linnaeus in 1758 and did not refer to the chimpanzee.
- (species): Hominidae - family; Homininae - subfamily; Hominini - tribe; Panina - subtribe; Pan - genus
- Pan troglodytes on Wikipedia.Wikipedia
- Pan troglodytes on Wikispecies.Wikispecies
- Pan troglodytes on Wikimedia Commons.Wikimedia Commons
- Pan_troglodytes at Animal Diversity Web
- Pan troglodytes in Mammal Species of the World at Bucknell.
- Pan troglodytes on Integrated Taxonomic Information System.
- Pan troglodytes at Encyclopedia of Life
- Pan troglodytes at National Center for Biotechnology Information
- Pan troglodytes at Fossilworks