This entry has survived Wiktionary's verification process.
Please do not re-nominate for verification without comprehensive reasons for doing so.
Perhaps this was one of the earliest tests of the RFV process? At any rate, "livejournal" is not exactly "durably archived" and certainly doesn't represent a reputable publisher, (i.e. one that spell-checks before publishing.) --Connel MacKenzie 23:54, 4 November 2006 (UTC)
- Even in searching I've had problems with already disappeared LiveJournal hits, so I could only agree. DAVilla 03:24, 5 November 2006 (UTC)
Howdy, I found an example in a Beastie Boys song of 1989, as you can see from the page Leon... 09:45, 23 November 2006 (UTC)
- So, this rfv is failed, right? --Connel MacKenzie 17:16, 3 January 2007 (UTC)
- Oh man. There are plenty of Google book hits, you just have to filter out other languages. I won't get to it just yet. DAVilla 17:47, 3 January 2007 (UTC)
- OK then, in the interest of archiving November, I'll relist this (and a few others) in January. Good luck chasing down these meanings/usages. --Connel MacKenzie 00:09, 4 January 2007 (UTC)
- I've added the following cites at the article (there's more available via g.b.c search.) I didn't break them up by sense, however, since this is a full RFV; I think that several of those senses should probably be combined. This should go to RFC afterwards (if no one feels so inclined here.) --Jeffqyzt 21:01, 25 January 2007 (UTC)
- 2001, Delphine Jamet, Street Kid in the City 
- Jay was ganked (mugged) for $55 by some Noongar boys when Brad told them he had a lot of money on him.
- 2002, A. K. Stanfield, Zen Smoking: A Mock Epic with Stock Characters Page 261
- “I ganked these from the Major's house last night,” I explained, reaching into the backpack to withdraw the two books.
- 2004, Mike Sager, Scary Monsters and Super Freaks: Stories of Sex, Drugs, Rock 'n' Roll and Murder Page 135
- Just as Eazy had robbed Lonzo at Crew Cut Records, Suge and Dre had now ganked Eazy. This time, however, there was a slight problem.
- 2004, U.S. Congress Senate Committee on the Judiciary, Combating Gang Violence in America Page 28
- And in the old days, you know, if you ganked a drug dealer, they would beat you senseless.
- 2006, N. Frank Daniels, Futureproof Page 206
- It was one of the syringes Splinter ganked from the hospital the other day when he was in there for chest pains.
RFV passed. DAVilla 18:27, 15 May 2007 (UTC)
The following information has failed Wiktionary's deletion process.
It should not be re-entered without careful consideration.
"(transitive, Internet, slang) To copy, reproduce, reuse, or save an image, idea, or work of another person, often in the context of materials posted on the Internet. Ganking can occur with or without permission." Redundant to earlier sense "to steal"; it merely happens to be used online a lot. Equinox ◑ 21:25, 11 August 2010 (UTC)
- Delete.—msh210℠ (talk) 19:03, 13 September 2010 (UTC)
- Keep. Not redundant with "to steal" because of the "can occur with or without permission" part; ordinary theft cannot occur with permission. —126.96.36.199 19:18, 1 December 2010 (UTC)
- Deleted. Equinox ◑ 15:32, 12 June 2011 (UTC)