|Search user languages or scripts|
Names and attributes must be accommodated to the essence of things, and not the essence to the names, since things come first and names afterwards.
— Galileo Galilei
Notwithstanding their influence, we apprehend, however, that dictionary-makers are on the whole an oppressed race, doomed to more than their due share of obscure drudgery. […] They may have had their romance at home — may have been crossed in love, and thence driven to dictionarying; may have been involved in domestic tragedies — who can say?
— 1864, Blackwood's Edinburgh Magazine (volume 96), uncredited author
[T]he maximum number of revisions an author made is 237,600 for the English Wiktionary (user "Equinox") […] As an anonymous reviewer points out, this "sounds as[sic] an incredibly high number of revisions for one single user".
— 2016, Wolfer & Müller-Spitzer, How Many People Constitute a Crowd and What Do They Do?
Words, words, words, words! You may as well listen to the birds.
— 2000, Coil
I am the enfant terrible. Nobody wants me but I'm really useful.
Individual words to consider
- Africoid almighties Angloid anteventral antiaccelerator(s) antibioticogram anticonvertin antiflapping antiaccelerator antitwist apocarotenol(s) aporrhea aurilide auteured autometamorphic aviculoid
- baccharane basalar benzannelated,bisbenzannelated biamperometry biologistical bipotentiometry bivagotomy
- cadalin (WP says alt form of cadalene?) choai/spondai cladosiphonic clawfish codynamic comap(s) coperfect cribriporal cyperane cytomicrosome
- diaconals downkeying drywell/wetwell
- eotechnic (cf. neotechnic) exopunctae eyepin/eye pin (in jewellery; cf. headpin)
- frange* fusioning futuritive
- gagemeter genorheitron gonidangium gonocyst griseorhodin(s) groundfield
- harmonicals hexaaquacopper heteromyarian highracer/lowracer histial hypermodulation hyperschema hypocystal
- macroid/microid (see pisoid) melopoeia* (in poetry) meristogenetic meristogenous mesene ("having a facial index of 50.0 to 54.9"?) metatexite microprofile (verb) microprofiler microshear microfusion*,macrofusion (sth in Intel processors?) misgating (noun, electronics)
- (odso, rivo*: old or obscure interjections) onflow oxyhexaster
- palatinepterygoid paracritical parapoetics parapreventive parasutural paratherapeutic paratherapy Parkerian/Parkeresque/Parkerism (related to transcendentalism?) partricin pelmatozoic pelorine performatism pericingulum/pericingular/pericingulate phanopoeia photophagotroph photophagotrophy phyllosiphonic plumoreticulate poikilothymia poststack presegment(s) prewarp (not Star Trek!) proairesis proterobase protocratic pseudoresolvent pseudosite pushload
- radiorelay radiothermal radiothermic rightmaking/wrongmaking
- sacropexy santalane saxifragoid(s) shionane skeletoid solus*/semisolus spheraster spirovetivane suberyl supergreenhouse (~ effect, ~ gases) superlevel*,superline* (in astronomy) super-Locrian superquantum syngenesioplastic
- telocratic thetanullwerte thujopsane
- undercoded underwash (verb? cf. overwash) upkeying upperstocks
- IRC jargon: AOP*, SOP*
- Singlish particles: ah, hah, hor, lah, leh, lor, mah, meh, ya
- Soil science: entic epieutric eutric fractiplinthic fragic gelic* greyic hyperalic hyperdystric hypersalic isohumisol lamellic leptic lutic manganiferric oxyaquic perudic petroduric petroferric pisoplinthic placic redoxic rendzic ruptic sabric salic sombric terric turbic vertic vitron*
- Qualifications: MMet, MPharm, MPhys; see also Oxford's 
- Jobs in tinplate manufacturing: branding boy (also branning boy?), counter, duster, hooker (also a reaper, outside of tinplate sense), list boy/lister, riser, rubber, scaler, scourer, striker
- Types of motorbike? (cf. flathead): knucklehead, panhead, shovelhead, sportster
- Arrangements of conidia: arthrocatenate, blastocatenate, basocatenate
- "Facial index" words (old phrenology?), thanks to Ultimateria: euryene, mesene, leptene, euryprosopia, mesoprosopia, leptoprosopia, euryprosopic / europrosopic, mesoprosopic, leptoprosopic, hypereuryprosopic, hyperleptoprosopic, prosopic
- crossing (something in sociolinguistics)
- fagotings / faggotings
- feerings: sth in agriculture, perh related to a furrow
- lampings: apparently related to light fittings
- scarfing, scarfings: some kind of timber in a ship; compare scarf, but unclear
- soppings: OK, sense not totally clear
- waygoings -- OK but unsure of meaning
Possible problem entries
These are not always bad but I have bookmarked them because I think work or research is needed.
- administer: check Spectator cite meaning
- Alternativism: investigate
- ambivalent: 2 senses? check OED, Chambers!
- cheese up: add glosses (slang? etc.) and verify senses with cites
- crass: check defs, compare with W1913!
- dystopia: verify sense 1
- femalia: perhaps RFV some senses
- Fortune 500: misplaced cites
- groundly: check all citations
- Hang: awful def, and check the weird plural
- harvest: check pagan sense
- headhair: not a "normal" word; also linked to
- highpriesthood, highpriestship: dubious forms without hyphen
- informationism: dodgy senses especially #4
- little boys room, little girls room: bad head? and apostrophe issue
- maidenhair: not a normal word, sort out pubic sense
- mammalogy, mammology: I think there is a mistake between mammals and breasts
- mother-out-law: check this whole set
- netherhair: awful, not a word anyone uses; netherlips: CRAP? — BUT nethermouth (Fanny Hill etc.?)
- nutting: check lemma vs. -ing form
- pull-to-publish: maybe move verb
- ruinism: check citations, wrong senses?
- sideling: is suspect; check OED?
- supposed: adjective needs work
- underlook: many different senses; needs attention
- zero chill: check def 3
Other places to get words
- Wiktionary:Requested entries (English)
- Wiktionary:List of languages (language names)
- Neume: lots of terms for obsolete music notation
- Attitude (heraldry)
- Boontling jargon
- Egyptian units of measurement
- Glossary of classical algebraic geometry (todo: I thru W)
- Glossary of architecture
- Appendix:Glossary of Boston slang: terms should be in a mainspace category if attested
- Glossary of botanical terms
- Broadcast terminology (possibly copyrighted)
- Glossary of card game terms
- Glossary of comics terminology
- Glossary of computer graphics
- Glossary of contract bridge terms (continue from book)
- Glossary of firefighting
- Glossary of graph theory terms
- Glossary of gymnastics terms
- Glossary of ice hockey terms
- Glossary of mammalian dental topography
- Glossary of motorsport terms
- Glossary of North American horse racing
- Glossary of professional wrestling terms
- Glossary of underwater diving terminology
- Gamelan gong kebyar
- Dictionary of occupational terms: 
- List of Anglo-Cornish words
- List of conjectures (mathematics)
- List of English words of Turkic origin
- List of Indian breads
- List of obsolete units of measurement AND Egyptian units of measurement; and List of unusual units of measurement, List of humorous units of measurement
- Eton College glossary  (copyrighted)
- Terms from basketry  (copyrighted): slath, soumak etc.
- List of diseases
- Multiservice tactical brevity code
- Medical slang
- Split (bowling): various types of split in bowling
- Surrealist techniques
- ASBP Scrabble words:  (copyrighted)
- Eye surgery: lots of technical terms here.
- Horse jumping obstacles: e.g. coffin, bullfinch.
- Friedel–Crafts_reaction#Scope_and_variations: lots of chemical "name reactions".
- Trace_fossil_classification#The_Seilacherian_System: lots of fossil words.
- List of optical illusions
- List of cocktails
- List of MeSH codes: links to thousands of scientific words
- List of minerals named after people: done the entries, but not the etymologies
- Morphology of Diptera: many parts of fly anatomy (see labelled diagrams)
- South African English:  (copyrighted)
- Many organic compounds in Cystophora retroflexa: 
- Missing words from major dictionaries
- Missing words used in Wiktionary
- Get a random transwiki word or phrase (learn more)
- Antarctic slang:  (copyrighted)
- Terms in wine-tasting:  (copyrighted)
- Some good anatomical terms here:  (copyrighted)
- Singlish:  (copyrighted)
- Appendix:Christian figures of speech
- Grip (tennis)#The_grips
Wiktionarians I have met
"Meeting" means either face to face or voice talk.