Blend of Uncle Sam + sugar daddy. Popularized by Mike Huckabee, though not original to him.
- (chiefly Southern US) A personification of the American welfare state.
- 2004, Shane Russell, Living Hell, page 25:
- “Uncle Sugar provides well for me. Because of Uncle Sugar I have a good education and the opportunity to retire when I'm thirty-five years old."
- 2014, Mike Huckabee, God, Guns, Grits and Gravy, page 102:
- [An Obama campaign ad] depicted a woman named Julia who from cradle to grave was dependent on all things "government" and could live her life only with the ever-present and all-guiding hand of Uncle Sugar.