Trade name developed for the Wireless Ethernet Compatibility Alliance (later Wi-Fi Alliance), after hi-fi (“high fidelity”).
- (computing) Any of several standards for short-range wireless data transmission (IEEE 802.11).
- (computing) Wireless networking using one of these standards.
- I'll send the file using Wi-Fi.
- This coffee shop has Wi-Fi for its customers.
- (informal) The capability to connect to a Wi-Fi network.
- The refrigerator cost 1000 more dollars just because it had Wi-Fi, and I'm thinking "this is ridiculous"!
computing: wireless data communication standard
- This term may be a trademark.