- An act or instance of appropriating.
- That which is appropriated.
- Public funds set aside for a specific purpose.
- (art) The use of borrowed elements in the creation of a new work.
- (sociology) The assimilation of concepts into a governing framework.
- In church law, the making over of a benefice to an owner who receives the tithes, but is bound to appoint a vicar for the spiritual service of the parish.
- (constitutional law) The principle that supplies granted by a legislature are only to be expended in the manner specified by that legislature.
act of appropriating, or something appropriated
public funds set aside for a specific purpose
(sociology) the assimilation of concepts into a governing framework
- appropriation at OneLook Dictionary Search
- appropriation in Keywords for Today: A 21st Century Vocabulary, edited by The Keywords Project, Colin MacCabe, Holly Yanacek, 2018.
- appropriation in The Century Dictionary, New York, N.Y.: The Century Co., 1911
appropriation f (plural appropriations)