You can help Wiktionary by providing a proper etymology.
Audio (AU) (file)
- (idiomatic) At issue, at risk.
- What is at stake in these next 20 minutes is the championship.
- Doesn't he realize that all of our lives are at stake here too?
- c. 1601, William Shakespeare, Troilus and Cressida, Act III, Scene 3,
- I see my reputation is at stake
- My fame is shrewdly gored.
- 1713, Joseph Addison, Cato, a Tragedy, London: J. Tonson, Act I, Scene 4, p. 14,
- How, Lucia, wou’dst thou have me sink away
- In pleasing Dreams, and lose my self in Love,
- When ev’ry moment Cato’s Life’s at Stake?
- 1818, Jane Austen, Persuasion, Chapter 5,
- […] as I have a great deal more at stake on this point than anybody else can have, I think it rather unnecessary in you to be advising me.
at issue, at risk