- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈbɛdˌsʌɪd ˈmænə/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈbedsaɪd ˈmænɚ/
- Hyphenation: bed‧side man‧ner
- The ability of a doctor, medic, nurse, or other healthcare professional, to interact with his or her patients. [from 19th c.]
1884 March 15, “Annals of a winter health resort”, in Punch, or the London Charivari, volume LXXXVI, London: Published at the office, 85, Fleet Street, DOI:10.11588/diglit.17756.11, OCLC 729656303, page 121:
- Lady Visitor. "Oh that's your Doctor, is it? What sort of a doctor is he?" / Lady Resident. "Oh well, I don't know much about his ability; but he's got a very good bedside manner!"