See also: boilover
Audio (AU) (file)
- (intransitive) To boil to such an extent as to overflow its container.
- I forgot about the rice and it boiled over.
- (idiomatic, of anger, etc.) To reach the point where aggressive action is taken.
- 2013, Phil McNulty, Liverpool 1-0 Man Utd, BBC Sport, 1 September 2013:
- But as the half progressed, Liverpool's pressure and high-tempo passing game increased United's frustration and it threatened to boil over on the stroke of half-time when Van Persie, who had already been booked, was involved in angry verbal exchanges with several Liverpool players, particularly Gerrard.
boil so as to overflow