botoun (plural botouns)
- A button or decorative protrusion on garments or tools.
- A bud, budset, or shoot; a newly-formed leaf.
- Something that is small or of little or no value or worth.
- c. 1340, Dan Michel, “Vridom”, in Ayenbite of Inwyt, page 86:
- Ac hy habbeþ hire heꝛten zuo areꝛed ine god: þet hi ne pꝛayſeþ þe woꝛdle: bote ane botoun. and hi ne dredeþ kyng. ne eꝛl. […]
- But those who have their hearts inspired by God, who don't praise the world('s ways) even a bit and who don't fear kings, earls, […]