- (Hà Nội) IPA(key): [kajŋ̟˧˩ saːt̚˧˦]
- (Huế) IPA(key): [kɛɲ˧˨ ʂaːk̚˦˧˥]
- (Hồ Chí Minh City) IPA(key): [kan˨˩˦ ʂaːk̚˦˥] ~ [kan˨˩˦ saːk̚˦˥]
- (Overseas Vietnamese or chiefly law) the police
- cảnh sát giao thông ― the traffic police
- cảnh sát phòng cháy chữa cháy ― the firefighting "police"
- đồn cảnh sát ― police station
- xe cảnh sát ― police car
- a police officer
- cảnh sát trưởng ― an American sheriff
In Vietnam, law enforcement forces and officers of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam and the People's Republic of China are referred to as công an (“public security”) but rarely as cảnh sát in common parlance outside of fixed compounds. Equivalent institutions in other countries are referred to as cảnh sát, both by speakers in Vietnam and overseas. Cảnh sát also refers to various branches of the public security forces in Vietnam.
- (police officer): phí lít (slang, dated)