From Old Irish cáelas, equivalent to caol + -as.
caolas m (genitive singular caolais, nominative plural caolais)
- (geography) strait, narrows
- narrow place, bottleneck
|Note: Some of these forms may be hypothetical. Not every possible mutated form of every word actually occurs.
- "caolas" in Foclóir Gaeilge-Béarla, An Gúm, 1977, by Niall Ó Dónaill.
- C. Marstrander, E. G. Quin et al., editors (1913–76), “cáelas”, in Dictionary of the Irish Language: Based Mainly on Old and Middle Irish Materials, Dublin: Royal Irish Academy, →ISBN
- Entries containing “caolas” in English-Irish Dictionary, An Gúm, 1959, by Tomás de Bhaldraithe.
- Entries containing “caolas” in New English-Irish Dictionary by Foras na Gaeilge.