Non-Sino-Vietnamese reading of Chinese 隻 (“classifier; single, alone”, SV: chích).
chiếc • (隻)
- (formal or literary) Indicates generic inanimate tangible things
- Synonym: cái
Chiếc lược ngà
- The Ivory Comb
- (colloquial) Indicates popular vehicles, such as bicycles, motorcycles, cars, etc.
- Synonym: con
Nó có hai chiếc xe máy.
- He's got two motorcycles.
- As a classifier, chiếc is usually considered as a formal, or even literary, counterpart to cái. It is mostly used colloquially when indicating some types of vehicles such as bicycles, motorcycles, cars, etc.
- Also note that only cái can be used to indicate zoological body parts, except for teeth.