- (transitive) To honour the memory of someone or something with a ceremony or object.
- On November 11th we commemorate the fallen with a march.
- 2009, Naava Piatka, No Goodbyes: A Father-Daughter Memoir of Love, War and Resurrection, page 98:
- On the anniversary of Korczak's murder, Israel commemorated him with a special postal issue. As a stamp collector and philatelic columnist, it pleased me greatly when other countries followed Israel's example in honoring him.
- (transitive) To serve as a memorial to someone or something.
- The cenotaph commemorates the fallen.
to honor the memory of someone or something
to serve as memorial to someone or something
commemorate f pl