See also: dial in
From the verb phrase dial in.
dial-in (not comparable)
- Of a system or service, accepting incoming connections over a telephone line.
- You can access your messages via Option 3 of our dial-in service menu.
- (networking) Of a computer, set up to accept incoming modem calls.
- (networking, proscribed) Dial-up.
- When used as an adjective, hyphenated; when used as a verb, unhyphenated (dial in).
- Use as a synonym for dial-up is proscribed, as dial-up consists of outgoing calls (a network client), not incoming calls (a network server).