emend + -ation
- IPA(key): /ˌiːmɛnˈdeɪʃən/, /ˌɛmənˈdeɪʃən/, /ɪˌmɛnˈdeɪʃən/
- Rhymes: -eɪʃən
emendation (countable and uncountable, plural emendations)
- The act of altering for the better, or correcting what is erroneous or faulty; correction; improvement.
- 1922, Virginia Woolf, Jacob's Room, Vintage Classics, paperback edition, page 157
- Then, less melodiously, dissenters of different sects issue a cantankerous emendation.
- Alteration by editorial criticism, as of a text so as to give a better reading; removal of errors or corruptions from a document.
- The book might be improved by judicious emendations.