See also: zoölogy
From Ancient Greek ζῷον (zôion, “animal”) + λόγος (lógos, “knowledge”). Analyzable as zoo- + -logy.
- enPR: zō-ŏl′-ə-jē, zo͞o-ŏl′-ə-jē
- (UK) IPA(key): /zəʊˈɒlədʒi/, /zuːˈɒləd͡ʒi/
Audio (Southern England) (file)
- (US) IPA(key): /zoʊˈɑləd͡ʒi/, /zuˈɑləd͡ʒi/
- Rhymes: -ɒlədʒi
zoology (countable and uncountable, plural zoologies)
- The part of biology relating to the animal kingdom, including the structure, embryology, evolution, classification, habits, and distribution of all animals, both living and extinct.
- A treatise on this science.
The pronunciation in /zu-/ has often received negative comment, but has nevertheless become very common, especially in British English.
science that studies the animal kingdom