- (obsolete) Fineness; beauty.
- (countable) Ornament; decoration; especially, excessive decoration; showy clothes; jewels.
- (ironworking) A charcoal hearth or furnace for the conversion of cast iron into wrought iron, or into iron suitable for puddling.
1957, H.R. Schubert, History of the British Iron and Steel Industry, page 160:
- In front of the finery hearth in which the sow is melted down again, the finer is working with a long iron bar called a ringer (from French 'ringard') with which he keeps the molten iron in motion by stirring, an essential stage in the process of refining.
fineness — see fineness
excessive decoration, showy clothes, jewels
- (charcoal hearth): refinery