Audio (US) (file)
- (conjunctive) As an example.
- 1892, Walter Besant, chapter II, in The Ivory Gate […], New York, N.Y.: Harper & Brothers, […], OCLC 16832619:
- At twilight in the summer […] the mice come out. They […] eat the luncheon crumbs. Mr. Checkly, for instance, always brought his dinner in a paper parcel in his coat-tail pocket, and ate it when so disposed, sprinkling crumbs lavishly—the only lavishment of which he was ever guilty—on the floor.
- 2009, Christoph Börgers, Mathematics of Social Choice, page 190:
- For instance, one can always find a division that is envy-free and equitable: The equal division is an example.
- 2011, Gordon Finn, Yesterday's Porridge, page 6:
- Take yesterday for instance. You can see how busy the store gets and we packers have to be ultra careful how we load the shelves and where we erect the pyramids. Two children aged about eight and ten were racing around the store playing […]
as an example — see for example