foretaste (plural foretastes)
- A taste beforehand.
- A sample taken in anticipation; an experience undergone in advance.
- Such convicts are likely heading for Hell, so give them the best foretaste that you can possibly do.
taste taken in advance
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.
Translations to be checked
- (transitive) To taste beforehand.
- (transitive) To taste before possession; have previous experience of; enjoy by anticipation.
- (transitive) To taste before another.
- 1667, John Milton, Paradise lost:
- [...] foretast'd fruit, Profan'd first by the serpent [...]
to taste before another