- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈɡɹoʊɪŋ/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈɡɹəʊɪŋ/
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -əʊɪŋ
growing (plural growings)
- growth; increase
- 1852, Henry Howe, Historical Collections of the Great West:
- Some of these unhappy emigrants felt a general sinking of all their mental and bodily energies, without, however, experiencing the growings of hunger.
- (attributive) Connected with growing
- The growing season here begins in March.
connected with growing
growing (not comparable)
- That grows.
- 2013 June 8, “The new masters and commanders”, in The Economist, volume 407, number 8839, page 52:
- From the ground, Colombo’s port does not look like much. […] But viewed from high up in one of the growing number of skyscrapers in Sri Lanka’s capital, it is clear that something extraordinary is happening: China is creating a shipping hub just 200 miles from India’s southern tip.
- Milk is good for growing children.