gymkhana (plural gymkhanas)
- A competition where riders and horses display a range of skills and aptitudes.
- 1900, Winston Churchill, chapter 13, in London to Ladysmith via Pretoria:
- In the afternoon the British held athletic sports, an impromptu military tournament, and a gymkhana, all of which caused much merriment and diversion, and the Boers profited by the cessation of the shell fire to shovel away at their trenches.
- (dated) A place of public resort for athletic games, etc.
- 1914, John Law, chapter XVI, in Modern Hyderabad (Deccan), Calcutta: Thacker, Spink & Co:
- These privileged gentlemen have a fine club on the Fateh Maidan, a suburb of Hyderabad city, and they enjoy sports and races at the local gymkhana, in fact, they have a very good time, if one may judge by their appearance.
- (dated) A meeting for such sports.