See also: compétition
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˌkɒmpəˈtɪʃən/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˌkɑːmpəˈtɪʃən/
Audio (US) (file)
- (uncountable) The action of competing.
- The competition for this job is strong.
1898, Winston Churchill, chapter 8, in The Celebrity:
- The humor of my proposition appealed more strongly to Miss Trevor than I had looked for, and from that time forward she became her old self again; […] . Our table in the dining-room became again the abode of scintillating wit and caustic repartee, Farrar bracing up to his old standard, and the demand for seats in the vicinity rose to an animated competition.
- (countable) A contest for a prize or award.
- The newspaper is featuring a competition to win a car.
- (uncountable, collectively) The competitors in such a contest.
- The new stain remover was ten times more effective than the competition.
- (action of competing): cooperation
action of competing
contest for a prize or award
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked