- (idiomatic) Resentment, anger.
- 1827, James Fenimore Cooper, chapter 31, in The Prairie:
- If you will name the price you put upon the articles, it is possible the damage may be quietly settled between us, and all hard feelings forgotten.
- 1922, Upton Sinclair, chapter 1, in They Call Me Carpenter:
- This foreign visitor asked me how I felt about the war, and I told him that it was over, and I bore no hard feelings.
- 2007, Tim McGirk, "The West Bank: Mission Critical," Time, 16 Aug. :
- The eviction itself went relatively smoothly, but the hard feelings it generated resound deep inside Israeli army barracks.