From Old Irish imbel (“edge, rim, border, margin”) (compare also immellach (“bordering, surrounding; outermost”, adjective)).
imeall m (genitive singular imill, nominative plural imill)
- border, edge, rim, margin
|Note: Some of these forms may be hypothetical. Not every possible mutated form of every word actually occurs.
- "imeall" in Foclóir Gaeilge-Béarla, An Gúm, 1977, by Niall Ó Dónaill.
- C. Marstrander, E. G. Quin et al., editors (1913–76), “imbel ?”, in Dictionary of the Irish Language: Based Mainly on Old and Middle Irish Materials, Dublin: Royal Irish Academy, →ISBN
- Entries containing “imeall” in English-Irish Dictionary, An Gúm, 1959, by Tomás de Bhaldraithe.
- Entries containing “imeall” in New English-Irish Dictionary by Foras na Gaeilge.