See also: Mining
- The activity of removing solid valuables from the earth.
- gold mining
- (figuratively) Any activity that extracts or undermines.
- His extensive mining for apparently statistically significant results made any of his results questionable.
- 1740, John Hawkesworth, The Works of Jonathan Swift, D.D, Dean of St. Patrick's, Dublin, Life of the Reverend Jonathan Swift [Introduction]
- […] the fabrick, however weak by the delicacy of its composition, would not have fallen so soon, if the foundation had not been injured by the slow minings of regret and vexation.
- (military) The activity of placing mines (the explosive devices).
- (cryptocurrencies) Creation of new units of cryptocurrency by validating transactions and demonstrating proof of work.
- 2022 January 6, “Kazakhstan internet shutdown deals blow to global bitcoin mining operation”, in The Guardian:
- Kazakhstan became last year the world’s second-largest centre for bitcoin mining after the United States, according to the Cambridge Centre for Alternative Finance, after China clamped down on crypto mining activity.
- → Russian: ма́йнинг (májning)
activity of removing solid valuables from the earth
creation of new units of cryptocurrency