nerve gas (plural nerve gases)
- A toxic chemical compound and banned weapon of mass destruction which, when inhaled or ingested, impairs nervous system functions, typically causing extreme physical distress and death by asphyxiation.
- 1940 May 14, “Nazi ‘New Weapon’ Draws Skepticism”, in New York Times, page 6:
- United States Army chemical warfare experts said they believed it was quite possible that a gas corresponding roughly to the description of “nerve gas” might be produced under special conditions, but they had not heard that it could be successfully used in warfare.
- 2004 February 27, George Nishiyama, “Japan Cult Guru to Hang for Sarin Nerve Gas Attack”, in Washington Post, retrieved 2 October 2008:
- A former Japanese cult guru was sentenced to hang Friday for masterminding a sarin nerve gas attack on Tokyo subway trains in 1995.
weapon of mass destruction