From Latin numerarius, from numerus (“number”). Doublet of numéraire.
numerary (not comparable)
- Relating to numbers or numbering.
- Of a position which is held by a certain person permanently (in an administration or academy).
numerary (plural numeraries)
- A person with a numerary position.
- (Roman Catholicism) A celibate lay NON-member of Opus Dei, a Roman Catholic religious institution.
- Quoting the Twitter account @OpusDeiProblems: "USA: in visit from Rome (central headquarters of Opus), the Vicar admits:
Canon Law experts and the Pope hold that ONLY THE CLERGY are part of the Prelature. The Nums, Assocs, and Supers are not members of Opus."