ourself (first person, singular reflexive of we)
- (reflexive) The reflexive of the royal or editorial we: myself (as used by a monarch, writer or speaker who is referring to themself as we).
- In the present study, we will limit ourself to the simplest of cases.
- 1962, Princeton Alumni Weekly, volume 63, page 24:
- He then offered to guide us down to see for ourself, but one look down that dark hole to the water about 60 feet below completely dampened our speluncean ardor.
- (reflexive) The reflexive of the generic we: oneself.
- We should love our neighbor as ourself.
- (African-American Vernacular) The reflexive of the we: ourselves.
Usage notes edit
- The normal reflexive form of we is ourselves. This form can generally be used alternatively in the above cases, too.
Coordinate terms edit
- ourselves (plural)
reflexive of editorial or royal we