See also: Pleasance
pleasance (plural pleasances)
- (obsolete) Willingness to please, or the action of pleasing; courtesy. [14th-17th c.]
- (obsolete) The feeling of being pleased; pleasure, delight. [14th-19th c.]
- A pleasure ground laid out with shady walks, trees and shrubs, statuary, and ornamental water; a secluded part of a garden. [from 16th c.]
- The pleasances of old Elizabethan houses. — Ruskin.
- 1924, EM Forster, A Passage to India, Penguin 2005, p. 6:
- It is a tropical pleasance, washed by a noble river.