See also: run out
Audio (AU) (file)
runout (plural runouts)
- Something that has been run out. (Can we add an example for this sense?)
- (cricket) A run out, a running out. The method of getting out in which a batsman, in making a run, has not reached the popping crease when a fielder breaks his wicket with the ball.
- (skiing) A relatively flat portion at the end of a ski run to slow down, or to connect trails.
- (skiing) Slowing down at the end of a ski run, skiing on a runout.
- 2011 September 13, Nick Paumgarten, “Ode to Happy Endings: Celebrating the least appreciated aspect of a great run.”, in Skiing:
- If, as people often say, skiing is like sex, then the run-out that follows a great run—that breezy pole-and-glide along a logging road, stream, or moraine back to the lift, hut, truck, or bar—is the cigarette in bed.