- The action of moving along a surface (ice or ground) using skates.
- 1854, Charles Manby Smith, The working-man's way in the world, page 283:
- My merry Christmas and first matrimonial plum-pudding, which I had a hand in compounding — the sprig of mistletoe which I bought for home-consumption, the walks in the parks and the skatings on the Serpentine during the two days' holiday […]
- (uncountable) The sport of moving along a surface using skates.
- (skiing, uncountable) A method of propulsion, where one moves similar to how a skater propels themselves. A technique in skiing, where a ski is planted diagonally, to push off of, and one slides forward on the ski facing straight foward, and then repeats the process with the swapping of the feet's actions.
terms derived from skating (noun)
action or sport