Audio (AU) (file)
- (idiomatic, transitive, intransitive) to begin again; to return to the beginning
- I forgot to save my work, and I had to start over.
- He had to start the game over because he lost his memory card.
- 1885, “On Timing Races”, in Outing, volume 5, page 44:
- If every man in the heat falls down the first ten yards, don't stop your watch under the impression that they will "start over." They won't.
- 2010, Kathy O'Keefe, Over His Rainbow: A Single Woman's Journey to God's Promise:
- I have often heard of God referred to as the potter who gently and carefully shapes our character, but I am also aware that there are times when the potter mashes the clay and starts over.
- 2012, Susan Miller, After the Boxes Are Unpacked:
- The first step in my process of healing was to choose to let go and leave behind any encumbrances that would prevent me from starting over and moving ahead.